• History of BDO

Our History

A brief history of BDO

BDO’s beginnings can be traced back to 1903 when AF (Fred) Stoy founded ‘Stoy & Co’. Fred Stoy was joined by RJ (Jack) Hayward in 1919 and the firm later became known as ‘Stoy Hayward’.

In July 1992, Stoy Hayward merged with another medium-sized firm of chartered accountants, Finnie & Co.

Two years later in 1994, the firm extended its UK network further by merging with 13 BDO Binder Hamlyn offices and changed its name to become ‘BDO Stoy Hayward’. In the same year, the firm applied successfully to become the UK member firm of BDO International.

In January 2004, BDO Stoy Hayward converted to LLP status giving greater protection to the business and greater transparency to clients. The firm extended its UK network further still by acquiring John Gordon Walton in Leeds (October 2004) and the Bristol, Manchester and Southampton offices of Numerica (June 2005).

The names ‘Stoy Hayward’ were dropped in October 2009 adopting the worldwide branding of BDO. The move to a single global trading name demonstrated our commitment to service our clients and to compete successfully in our market on a multinational basis.

BDO merged with PKF (UK) LLP in Spring 2013. The merger created one of the UK’s strongest firms focused on the mid-market (companies with revenue of between £10m and £300m).

Since then BDO LLP and the BDO has continued to grow and transform in response to client needs – both domestically and internationally.

Our UK firm operates from 18 offices, covering all major business centres, across the country, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a wide range of consulting and advisory services.

Internationally, we operate in 154 countries with 64,500 people working out of 1,400 offices worldwide. Globally, BDO generates revenues of $7.3bn.