M&A Leisure deal flow bulletin - January edition
31 January 2017
Welcome to the January edition of M&A Leisure deal flow bulletin – the BDO M&A Leisure team's monthly overview of the latest M&A activity we've seen in the leisure space.
In January we published our annual Restaurant and Bars review for 2016. If you haven't already, you can read it here.
Travel deal flow
- BDO are pleased to announce the sale of Redfern Travel to global travel management company CTM. Jason Whitworth, M&A Partner at BDO commented that: "The deal will help accelerate the development of Redfern's technology, products and services, as well as providing the opportunity to leverage CTM's increased buying power and scale in core markets."
- BDO are also delighted to announce the sale of Sandy Balls Holiday Village to LDC backed Away Resorts. The premium holiday village is Away Resorts' second acquisition since LDC backed the secondary buyout of the business in 2015.
- Following acquisitions of Travelsphere and Just You, G Adventures has broadened its portfolio by acquiring cruise operator Swan Hellenic, another All Leisure Group brand.
- Midlothian Capital has acquired park operator Park Leisure for a reported £103m. Midlothian bought Dobbies Garden Centre from Tesco for £217m in 2016.
- 85% of Major travel, a London based tour operator and consolidator, has been acquired by businessmen Qasim Gulamhusein and Miqdaad Versi. The company will no longer take direct bookings and instead focus on improving and expanding its packages and bespoke offering.
Restaurants and Bars deal flow
- Graphite backed New World Trading Company has secured £23m of funding from NatWest. The company, which currently has 16 open sites, plans to expand across the UK at a rate of 6 new sites per year.
- Novus Leisure has acquired three Rocket Restaurants from 3Sixty Restaurants. The acquisition will boost the bar and restaurant operator's estate and facilitate its debut in Canary Wharf.
- David Page's Putney Beach has raised in excess of £2m. The funds will, in part, be put towards the launch of steak, chicken and crab concept FIXED.
- The City Pub Company is expected to reach 35 sites by the end of the summer as part of a strategy that could culminate in an AIM listing by the end of the year.
Please contact one of the M&A Leisure team if you would like to discuss any of the topics raised in more detail.
Download our M&A Leisure Credentials brochure
Back to the M&A Leisure bulletin homepage