Our principles when providing tax services
We are committed to acting professionally with integrity and in an ethically responsible manner.
The Principles set out below apply to BDO LLP's tax professionals when providing tax services to clients.
As a firm we are committed to being a responsible business which means acting:
- With integrity
- In accordance with our values
- In an ethically responsible manner.
What we do
Taxation is complex, particularly for businesses and individuals with activities overseas. Our primary role is to help clients understand and interpret tax law and regulations so that they can plan and manage their tax affairs in the context of their personal and business objectives and activities. This includes advising clients in relation to their compliance obligations.
We seek to ensure that our advice to clients adheres to the guidance of our governing professional bodies – in particular the ICAEW and CIOT's joint guidance titled 'Professional Conduct in Relation to Taxation'.
Specifically, our work is undertaken in accordance with the following principles:
- We seek to ensure that advice is supported by an appropriate basis in tax law and, where differing interpretations can reasonably be taken, the implications of these should be discussed with our clients.
- We seek to ensure that there is full and proper disclosure in returns made to HM Revenue & Customs.
- In carrying out our work we encourage our clients to consider the wider risks associated with tax planning, including the reputational risks arising from the way others might view a particular course of action.
What can be expected from us
We seek to ensure that our work is carried out in accordance with the firm's procedures, which meet relevant professional, legal and regulatory requirements.
We will not assist clients with tax planning that could reasonably be considered to bring the profession, the firm, individual partners or members of staff into disrepute, or which relies for its success on anything less than full disclosure to HMRC.