19 November 2018
The UK economy is at a crossroads. New technology, new international relationships, new markets and new politics are all contributing to uncertainty for UK businesses. To enable the UK to move in the right direction with confidence we need to see the emergence of a ‘new economy’ – an economy which helps the UK thrive post-Brexit by making the most of its mid-sized entrepreneurial businesses, by balancing growth by sector and by region, and by ensuring open and simple access to world markets and global talent. Just after the UK EU referendum, BDO put forward a number of policies aimed at doing just this. We spoke to our clients, business groups, policy-makers and our own people to find out what challenges were front of mind and what ideas they would prioritise.
From those discussions we finalised a list of five policy areas which we feel will help drive a successful UK economy post-Brexit and beyond.
- Make business easier by simplifying tax
- Create the right environment for businesses and local communities in which to flourish by investing in smart infrastructure
- Support business growth by tackling the UK skills gap
- Help increase UK wealth by addressing Britain’s productivity puzzle
- Support entrepreneurs and scale-up businesses by creating new streams of patient capital.
Visit our New Economy microsite to read about BDO's vision for a new economy and see where your business fits in.
New Economy microsite