Andrew is a Partner in BDO's Consulting team, leading the Infrastructure Advisory practice. He specialises in Public Private Partnerships advice to public sector procurers and private sector bidders.
His experience includes a variety of NHS, Local Authority and Central Government advisory roles in the health, leisure, education, transport, and office accommodation sectors including City Centre Regeneration. Andrew has also been involved in advising on projects overseas including Ireland and Australia. He is also a specialist in Public Sector grant due diligence.
Andrew is highly experienced in healthcare PFI/PPP projects, with considerable knowledge of funding structures and terms. He has advised on options (including termination) relating to existing PFI contracts. He has recently advised a number of Trusts on PFI issues and cost saving opportunities during the operating phase of PFI/PPP projects.
Andrew qualified with a national accountancy firm in London, working on a variety of corporate finance projects. Moving to NM Rothschild to advise on property and structured finance, he then joined the PPP/PFI team at a "Big 4" firm in 1996, moving to BDO in 2005 to lead the PPP/PFI team.
Recent transactions include:
- Barts Health NHS Trust – Advising the Trust on the impact on the service provider’s financial model of variations to the service specification. This includes reviewing the amendments to the financial model and negotiation with the service provider.
- Cyril Sweett / AIB / Keepmoat £150m Leeds Little London Housing PFI project - Financial advisor and raising finance for this project to refurbish and new build social housing in Leeds. This has involved arranging funding from Assured Guaranty and negotiating a capital contribution from the local authority.
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust – Assisting the Trust with the five-yearly benchmarking and market testing of certain soft facilities management services.
- Hub West – Led the financial advice for the Barrhead and Lady Patrick’s School.
- DfT - Advice in selection of a private sector operator for the Vehicle Certification Agency. The work included a business plan and selection of, and negotiation with, the provider.
- Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - Financial adviser for the proposed new hospital scheme.
- Bradford Metropolitan District Council – The three phases of the £600m Building Schools in the Future (BSF) scheme. Andrew was lead financial adviser for the Council on the BSF project as well as lead financial adviser to the Council on regeneration projects.
- North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust - Advice on new £300m hospital scheme. Andrew led the financial advice on the Outline Business Case for this new acute hospital development which included an innovative pension-funded option.
- Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust – Andrew was lead financial adviser to the Trust on the £80m Roseberry Park Hospital. The project was the first in the NHS to include a preferred bidder funding competition process, Andrew has subsequently advised on payment mechanism operational matters for this project. Andrew also worked on the 20m West Park Hospital PFI, where he advised on the original procurement through to financial close and subsequent voluntary termination of this project (the first voluntary PFI in the health sector in the UK).
- National Development Finance Agency in Ireland- Andrew led the financial advice on schools bundles 2 and 3 from 2009- 2012. This was from business case through to financial close. The project include a preferred bidder funding competition.
- Leeds Independent Living – Andrew was lead financial adviser to the successful bidder Gleeson Capital Solutions on this £50m PFI scheme to provide new build social housing for the City of Leeds.
- Liverpool City Council – Andrew was lead financial adviser to the Council on the new £40m library PFI project which reached financial close in July 2010. The project involved a listed building frontage which was required to be kept as part of the project.
- Titanic Quarter – Andrew was the lead financial adviser to Titanic Quarter on their successful bid for the £40m PFI project for the new Belfast Metropolitan College which included a car park for the entire Titanic Quarter regeneration project and reached financial close in April 2009.