The well-led framework: Governance in a changing world
03 November 2014
The health and care environment is complex and changing, as highlighted by the NHS five year forward view.
At the same time NHS organisations are under huge pressure to deliver safe, sustainable, high quality care. Boards need to regularly review the effectiveness of their leadership and decision making. Monitor expects all Foundation Trust Boards to undergo an independent governance review every three years.
Are you confident your organisation:
- Sees governance as a whole system requiring proactive and perpetual participation, not just policies and procedures?
- Fully grasps that leadership through governance and governance through leadership are at the heart of the ‘well led’ organisation?
- Understands that effective leadership and governance are about people working together across systems and sub-systems, managing difference, encouraging challenge, tolerating anxiety and acting with conscious intent?
- Is able to challenge to improve performance through obtaining assurance not just reassurance?
- Can prioritise sensitively, and be consciously aware of tendencies to gloss over complexity or consent to passivity?
- Can cope with the governance challenges of an integrated, outcome focused health and care system - including those presented by multi-speciality community providers, linked primary and acute care systems, health and wellbeing boards?
- Is resilient enough to cope with challenges such as the £30bn NHS funding gap, pressures in the social care system and increasing requirements of regulation?
- Engenders a culture of good governance?
If the answer to any of these questions is uncertain, we can help you.