Hotel Britain Lite 2021
Revive and thrive – looking back to move forward
20 April 2021
As an industry reliant on social contact and with high fixed-costs, hotels and hospitality businesses have no doubt been one of the worst affected by the pandemic. As a result, 2020 has brought record lows in UK occupancy, RevPar and a wave of job losses.
However, the survivors would have been far fewer had it not have been for ongoing Government support. While these measures will provide a vital lifeline for many hospitality firms this summer, and while there is undoubtedly strong pent-up demand, their tapering-off in September will be a critical juncture. The full reopening of the industry, the sustained success of the vaccination rollout, and the return of consumer confidence will all be key factors in the recovery of domestic and international travel.
This year, our top takeaways for the hotels industry in 2021 are:
- Heightened hygiene: not only implementing new hygiene regulations during the pandemic, but packaging and publicising them to reassure guests
- Refining staycation strategies: upselling, experiential travel packages, and length-of-stay controls to capitalise on home grown holidays and ramping up revenue
- Building a sustainable sector for the future: using ESG to attract investors, consumers and employees, but also making a real difference
- Creating solutions for the changed corporate demand: developing new, innovative software to offer premium remote-working solutions
- Looking back to move forward: now is the time to rethink your business model for the better.
Download our report to find out more.
Hotel industry experts
While we usually provide an in-depth study of UK hotel performance, given the events of the last year, we have instead decided to share a collection of advisory articles and insights to help you navigate the pandemic, and to take advantage of the experience and support available at BDO.
This year, our ‘view from the expert’ article features industry leaders Jane Pendlebury (HOSPA) and Philip Lassman (Accor), who give us their thoughts on current opportunities for hoteliers in the face of COVID-19 and discuss what they expect to see in the hospitality industry moving forward. We also hear from Paul Watson (IHG) on how to achieve operational agility.
Download the report now
From our resident BDO experts, we offer insight into what the recent budget announcement means for your hotel business, restructuring options for hotels, and how you can make the most of available opportunities to ensure you get ahead of the game.