Retail Forecasts Report 2020
05 December 2019
Our Retail Forecasts Report looks at the market factors that challenge retailers and looks ahead at the threats and opportunities to the high street.
In 2018, we characterised retail as being in a state of uncertainty and upheaval. Unfortunately, 12 months on, little has changed as political uncertainty, the weakness of sterling and changing consumer attitudes has retailers continuing to fight to survive in a turbulent and unforgiving retail market.
Although the changing consumer landscape presents many challenges for retailers, it also provides opportunities alike. In this edition of our Retail Forecasts report, we have highlighted some key areas for businesses to consider as the sector heads into the next decade:
- Investing in and exploiting new technology
- Competing with new subscription based payment models
- Having products and services tailored to the ‘new consumer’ lifestyle
- Re-shaping store portfolios to fit modern customer shopping habits
- Overhauling supply chains to deal with the growth of home delivery
- Adapting to the growing spending power of older shoppers
- Navigating falling home-owner rates
- Becoming truly ethical and environmentally aware.
Download the full report
If you would like to discuss this edition of the report further or any wider sector issues, please contact Sophie Michael, National Head of Retail and Wholesale or speak to your usual BDO adviser.