Lead financial adviser support for Infrastructure Projects
BDO’s Infrastructure Advisory team has advised on Public Private Partnerships (PPP) and the use of private finance to support the development of public sector infrastructure for over 20 years.
The senior in nature of our team reflects the depth of knowledge and commercial experience that our advisers bring to our clients. The team is part of the national consulting practice with key staff based at our offices in London, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh and Birmingham. We have advised the leading construction firms in the UK and have led on flagship government projects. We are on a number of significant government frameworks and regularly write or speak on infrastructure-related issues. We often seconded our consultants to our clients to ensure a holistic approach to client service.
The team has consistently been short-listed as best financial adviser at the Partnerships Awards recognising the contribution that they make to infrastructure deals and we recently received the British Accountancy Award.
Our team consists of end-to-end project delivery specialists, with a range of skills including:
- Project finance
- Financial model build
- Due diligence
- Bid and tender process support
- Infrastructure project management.
List of services
Our core services to clients include:
- Feasibility studies, option appraisals and (Treasury Green Book compliant) business cases to support investment decision making
- Procurement and commercial advisory support on project structuring
- Negotiation support and commercial strategy
- Joint Ventures, Strategic Estate Partnerships and Local Asset Backed Vehicles
- Secondary market sales and refinancing of projects
- Market testing reviews of existing projects and achieving operational efficiency savings
- Bid strategies, bid qualification and affordability/value for money assessments
- Financial model build and data book preparation/validation
- Funding competitions and Project Information Memoranda
- Bid preparation including performance and payment mechanisms
- Bid evaluation and selection of a preferred bidder
- Grant due diligence and funding reviews
- Accounting advice in relation to project structures
Specialist services for private sector operators
We have developed unique specialisms and knowledge working with clients to deliver infrastructure projects in a number of key sectors, including health, housing, education, waste and renewables, transport, leisure, emergency services and defence.
Corporate clients appreciate our consultancy expertise and familiarity in dealing with public sector bodies. For private sector clients, the team provides financial model build, debt and equity fund raising commercial advice and bid support. We also draft financial bid responses and provide advice on financial issues such as accounting and tax.
We have extensive experience of working with all of the major providers of external finance to public sector schemes. We structure projects innovatively to deliver affordable, value for money and, if required, effective balance-sheet financing solutions for major capital projects.
As the market for financing infrastructure changes we are advising investors on establishing funds and structuring transactions for institutional investors within our specialist sectors. We are also providing advice to clients in the secondary market for PPP transactions and are refinancing and restructuring debt and equity on a number of projects.
Although our work is primarily UK-focused, we work for international clients and have provided advice in a variety of global locations on international PPP Projects. The team has a great deal of experience working abroad or dealing with overseas clients seeking opportunities in the UK. Our familiarity with the ‘best practice’ in procurement, across a range of sectors, allows us to advise foreign governments looking to procure products and services whilst minimising project, supplier and governance risks.
Grant application support
In keeping with our work with both public and private sector clients, we provide due diligence services to grant awarding bodies for grant applications such as the Regional Growth Fund, or providing grant application support services to maximise our private sector clients’ chances of success.