Restaurants and Bars Report
14 December 2015
Welcome to the Winter 2015 edition of BDO’s Restaurants and Bars Report – our topical magazine providing you with an insight on the latest trends and issues in the industry.
What a year 2015 has ended up being. As a sector we are used to new ideas and concepts driven by change and innovation, yet we still rely on growth in consumer spending, a controlled cost base and a benign global macro environment.
Our regular economic review shows how important and dynamic our sector can be compared to the wider economy and highlights many factors which have, in the main, positively affected the industry.
Obviously the General Election was a key event in 2015 - delaying various deals and IPOs, then heralding much excitement as the Conservatives won their first outright election in 13 years, which quickly turned to shock and disappointment when the Chancellor announced the National Living Wage bombshell.
Our report as always is an insightful guide to what’s happening in the world of restaurants and bars and this edition provides:-
- A review of the highlights in the deals market in 2015 which has again proved to be particularly interesting and some pointers for next year
- An exclusive interview with Neil Sebba, Finance Director at Tossed who shared his views and experiences of their headlining crowdfunding exercise
- Trevor Watson from Davis Coffer Lyons explaining how they feel the property market is progressing and what operators may wish to consider
- The highly topical subject of tips, troncs and admin charges is explored by Andy Hamman, BDO’s specialist Employment Tax Director
- Finally, we conclude with our predictions for 2016 – the 10 things we believe will shape the sector in the coming year.
We hope you find this edition useful, interesting and insightful and, as always, we would love to hear your views on the topics covered so do get in touch with us. We wish you all a very Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Prosperous 2016.
Download previous reports here: