Minimising operational risks, promoting good governance
Public sector organisations are increasingly under financial pressure and trying to do `more for less’. At the same time, the demands and expectations of stakeholders such as commissioners and service users are increasing and there is less tolerance of poor practice or wastage.
At BDO, we know that public sector organisations strive to embed the principles of good governance. Our internal audit clients work with us to agree their risk profile and priorities. Our experienced internal audit team are there to advise on industry-wide or emerging risk areas and devise a strategic audit plan that is genuinely aligned to organisational objectives. BDO’s team is always monitoring changing risk priorities or risk incidents which may result in plans being changed and urgent issues escalated to senior management or the Board.
We recognise that the nature of public sector organisations themselves are changing. Many are focused on income generation initiatives, transformations in strategy or becoming increasingly data-led. Our team adapts to the needs of each organisation based on its local challenges and strategies. What sets us apart is an empathy with the public sector, as all of our team have either worked in the public sector or chosen to specialise in public sector work. We provide full outsourcing, co-sourcing and independent service reviews of internal audit.
With the reach and resources of a firm like BDO, your public sector internal audit team can provide you with up-to-date information about risk management, good governance and minimising operational risk. Some of the BDO teams we work with to provide our clients with a seamless internal audit service include :
- Public Sector consultancy - Works closely with public sector clients to provide a range of advisory services, including strategy, transformation, business case advisory, cost reduction, quality improvement and related services
- Infrastructure Advisory - Supporting public sector clients to deliver infrastructure projects eg housing, hospital estates development, emergency services, education
- Financial model audit and development services – Working with public sector clients to evaluate financial models for infrastructure projects
- Forensic Advisory – Swift, discreet and detailed investigations for clients where ‘red flags’ have been raised regarding financial or other irregularities. Local counter fraud services for NHS clients
- Technology Risk Advisory – Complete suite of services from a team experienced in all aspects of IT security and efficiency.
We deliver our public sector internal audit service from teams situated around the UK. Our teams hold a range of relevant qualifications (eg CIPFA, ACCA) and related specialist qualifications (eg CISA). We are ISO 9001 accredited for internal audit and also have independent verification of our compliance with Public Sector Internal Audit Standards. If your organisation is considering appointing internal auditors, please contact us to discuss how we can work with you to provide a value added service.
We operate the Public Sector Internal Audit group on LinkedIn to share news, views and insights on governance, risk management and controls assurance matters with our clients and contacts.