There has been increasing commentary and thought leadership in the role that women play in professional services and wealth advice. A recent report from Boston Consulting Group found that a third of the world’s wealth is under control by women, and that they add $5 trillion to the wealth pool annually.
As we celebrate International Women’s Day 2021, we are reminded that whilst we commend the brilliant activity of our women as a firm, we continue to analyse our role as advisers and reflect on the role we can play to support the women we work with both internally and as clients. We are proud to champion our women in leadership, and build skills to relate to, support and help female clients, colleagues and peers succeed.
Our women are leading commentators on the private wealth industry and feature regularly in the press alongside other female voices from the industry:
- Dawn Register has featured in over 50 pieces of national press coverage over the past year, cementing her place in the industry as a leading voice on contentious tax issues and HMRC campaigns. Most recently she has spoken to the Financial Times about the effect of COVID-19 on expatriates and on the use of Time to Pay plans
- Wendy Walton has received a range of awards within the industry, including previously being named Spear’s Accountant of the Year, one of ePrivateClient’s 50 Most Influential Private Client Advisers and winning the Citywealth Powerwomen Career Achievement Award.
- Wendy recently joined a webinar focusing on those who are Early in Career, discussing being a woman at the start of your career, the challenges you may or may not expect to face and the initiatives BDO have in place to support women. You can watch the webinar here.
- We are delighted that Catherine Grum has been selected by ePrivateClient as one of their top 10 women shaping the private client industry, in honour of #IWD2021
- As a wider team we are looking forward to taking part in the WealthiHer network’s first annual women’s entrepreneurial and leadership summit, which takes place in late March across the UK, Singapore and Hong Kong.
BDO are committed to the Women in Finance Charter, founding members of the Women Working in International Development (WWID) network, and regular contributors to the dedicated Women in Tax network. We also have a dedicated BE INSPIRED plan, which looks at recruitment, training, coaching, inclusive leadership, our policies and processes, mentoring and sponsorship.
Women in Tax
Women in Tax provides a forum for women of varying backgrounds and specialties to convene and share experiences. Through these efforts we support women and the tax community as a whole in becoming more powerful, effective, and fulfilled. We are proud supporters of the group and regularly host events including seminars, webinars and social events.
Our most recent event featured speakers from BDO, Travers Smith and OVO Energy who exchanged stories of the trials and triumphs of lockdown. The group discussed what it has really been like for women working in tax, and explore how we can support each other to build back stronger in contemplation of a post-COVID world.
The event brought together over 80 people online to listen to speakers sharing their practical experiences of working in tax during lockdown. The themes discussed included recruiting a new team, working from home while in the early stage of your career, joining a new company and developing client relationships in lockdown. Everyone then moved into small breakout rooms to network and exchange stories of their trials and triumphs of lockdown:
“The event was a brilliant way to break down into smaller groups to network and exchange stories. It was inspiring to hear everyone’s achievements despite the obvious challenges of the pandemic and a wonderful way to create connections.”
Charlotte Hobrough, Senior Manager, Co-chair of the Thames Valley Women in Tax and Committee Member, London Women in Tax
We hope you enjoy celebrating #IWD2021. If you want to discuss any private client tax matter more specifically with one of our team members, please do get in touch.