Our clients need valuations for a wide range of purposes which have potential tax consequences.
Our work includes:
- Family succession planning
- Share buy backs
- Valuation of shares and other assets held by departing employees
- Management incentive valuations under ITEPA or other income tax purposes
- Valuations for the IRS or other tax jurisdictions
- Due diligence prior to a company sale
- Transfers of intellectual property
- Share options
- Tax advantaged share arrangements including CSOP, EMI and ESS
- Capital gains disposals
- Tax planning prior to separation or divorce
- Inheritance tax (IHT) planning and calculation for ten year charge and lifetime transfer purposes
- Tax dispute resolution
- Goodwill valuations.
We prepare valuations both for HM Revenue and Customs (“HMRC”) as well as tax authorities in overseas jurisdictions, assisted by the international BDO network where appropriate. We have considerable expertise in negotiating complex valuations with the tax authorities in order to obtain the optimal result for our clients.
In circumstances where it is not possible to request agreement from HMRC, we prepare robust documentation to support the valuation in the event of an enquiry in the future.
Assets which we value include:
- Share options
- Intellectual property - including trademarks, patents, brands, knowhow and other intangible assets
- Creative assets including music and film catalogues, literary and cinematic works
- Financial instruments - including loan notes, swaps and derivatives
- Deferred consideration and earn out arrangements
Our clients range from individuals to partnerships and multi-national corporations.
Our valuation expertise includes former Shares and Assets Valuation personnel, Chartered Tax Advisors and Chartered Accountants.